Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Migrating Blue Jays

Both the Toronto Blue Jays and the actual Blue Jays are on the move.  The Toronto Blue have made it to the ALCS and are migrating to Cleveland and in my travels both in Texas last week and here in Toronto, Blue Jays are on the move in large numbers.  Alas, I have not had a chance to add any new species to my year list.  My time and movement was much restricted when we were in Texas last week, and I was only able to bird close to our hotel in Irving.  No Zip Cars anywhere to be found and I had only limited time on the first two mornings and it rained on the third.  

I did see a good lot of Scissor-tailed Flycatcher, Eastern Bluebirds and Blue Jays, but not much else.  Back in Toronto there have been a few late song-bird migrants passing through Humber Bay East, Colonel Sam Smith and Marie Curtis Parks, and in Hamilton at Windermere Basin and Van Wagner's Ponds, where Sue and I visited for the first time, looking for both a Nelson's Sparrow and Northern Pintail.  Neither were available for viewing that day, and I will hope to find in Ohio or later in the season back home in Ontario.  

My Birds and Blue Jays Big Year count has stalled, but for all the right reasons.  But there is still time to add species and many trips left to make this year.

A few photos from the week that was:

 

 

Long-billed Dowitchers at Nonquan Lagoons, my first for Ontario:

 

 

 

 

 

Finally, an odd hybrid duck, who's parentage confounds me:

 

No comments:

Post a Comment